Thursday, July 9, 2009

Let's See Some Fireworks

On the Wednesday before the 4th of July, Mari invited us over to pop some fireworks. Derrick, Mari’s boyfriend, is a pyro-technician, and runs the fireworks show in Galveston every 4th of July. When he bought the fireworks for the Galveston show, he got some to do at home as well.
I don’t ever remember getting to pop fireworks as a kid. We always went to the Freedom Frolic in downtown Waco to watch the fireworks show. In all honesty, firecrackers kinda scare me! The whole idea of holding something on fire that will explode at any second makes me nervous. So the idea of my kids holding something on fire that will explode at any second makes me very nervous! I think my nervousness rubbed off on my kids because they wouldn’t have anything to do with lighting the firecrackers, or even holding the punk for someone else. Eventually, Cason started lighting some of his own-surprise, surprise!

After the kids finished setting off all the little poppers, Derrick set up in the middle of the street for the big show. The fireworks Derrick shot off were awesome! I felt like I was in Indian Springs Park watching the show on the 4th. The kids and, lucky for Mari, the neighbors enjoyed the show!

The kids sat on their bikes and scooters in the middle of the street to watch the sky.
From left to right: Jackson, Brooke, Madison, Ashton, Cason, Adam, & Carter
At the baseball tournament on Saturday, July 4th, the Miller’s invited the team to their house to swim. The pool was very refreshing for the boys after playing ball all day! Once it was dark out, we headed to a local fireworks stand to shoot off our own fireworks. Again, Cason was the only one who would light any of the firecrackers. With much prodding Jackson eventually held a sparkler. He is such a cautious child, and I love it!






No comments: